The Muenster Museum opened its doors in December 1988. It was intended to be only open through the end of 1989, the year Muenster celebrated the centennial of its founding. Following the centennial year, the Muenster Historical Commission was established to preserve Muenster's history and continue the operation of the museum.
In 1999, the museum moved into its current location at 420 North Main Street. The museum is located in the former home of Ben and Aggie Seyler. Ben was a skilled mechanic who opened a Chrysler dealership in Muenster. A civic minded person, he served as chief of the Muenster Volunteer Fire Department, a city councilman, and mayor among other activities. Outside of being a homemaker, Aggie was active with the USO and Catholic Daughters of America. Tragedy struck in 1952 when Ben died from a heart attack. Aggie lived until 1996. Upon their mother's death, the Seyler daughters donated the home to the Historical Commission for use as a museum.
The museum proudly preserves the history of Muenster through its collections which includes a research room with numerous photographs, newspapers, family histories, scrapbooks, and school yearbooks. Military memorabilia, school displays, church items, and medical equipment are among numerous other items displayed in the museum. The museum hosts a few open houses throughout the year and has an annual creche display in which over 100 nativity scenes are shown.
Muenster Historical Commission Officers
President: Nicholas Taylor
Vice President: VACANT
Secretary: Janie Hartman
Treasurer: Betty Blockus